Wednesday, September 28, 2011

A Dirty Little Secret



I have not been a part of the blogging world for very long but one thing I've noticed is that when I read blogs I tend to wish I was more like that person.  They seem to have it all together and I'm falling apart at the seams!  Then I sat back and wondered - do people who read my blog think I have it all together?  Oh my goodness I hope not!  So, I'm writing this post to set the record straight - those of you who know me don't need to read this (and it will not come as a shock to you) but I'd love it if you did anyway :)  I am not perfect!

After you pick yourself up from the floor - because I know that last statement may have blown you away (please note the sarcasm!) ;) I hope you will realize the truth behind some of my humor.

I do try to include my kids in my crafting times but there are a lot of times when I struggle - I just want to do it myself, I lose my patience - "No, you need to do it this way!", and I yell "Mommy just wants a minute of peace - leave me alone!".



The computer is attractive to me (even if my desk is not!) and calls to me all day long.  I can lose myself in doing "good", checking e-mails, just one minute on facebook, writing and reading blogs, even reading my "devotions" on-line can turn into an all day event for me.  Why is the virtual world so much more appealing than my own?

I've begged God to give me a husband and children.  He has blessed me with both and yet I struggle to find contentment in these blessings.

So I want you, my friends and readers, to know that sometimes my house is a mess.  Sometimes the dishes pile up on my counters and in my sinks (I don't have a dishwasher - but really this is not a good enough excuse).  Sometimes my crafting corner looks like my scrapbooks vomited all over the place!  And even more so now because my craft area was flooded!


Sometimes I craft, watch Hulu, or check facebook instead of doing the dishes or cleaning my home.  Sometimes I yell at my kids because they are interrupting "me" time when most of the day has been "me" time.  As I'm writing this I realize it would be more accurate to say that sometimes I am patient, sometimes I am kind, sometimes I am motivated, sometimes I am the Mama I want to be, sometimes I clean my house and sometimes I am loving.  Those times are when I realize who I am in Jesus and that God is working me for a greater purpose.  However, more often than not I fail.  I am well away that God is doing something in me for I am not who I was yesterday but I am far from who I want to be!  I am weak - He is strong.  I am sinful - He offers righteousness.  I am dirty - He washes me whiter than snow.  I am broken - He is my potter, my healer, my deliverer, my "glue".


So I hope you will keep reading my blog even though you now know that I do not excel in every area of my life.  And when you do read, keep this post in the back of your mind - lest you be tempted to think I'm perfect and wish you were more like me.

As for me, I take comfort in knowing this . . .
"Beloved, we are God's children now, and what we will be has not yet appeared; but we know that when he appears we shall be like him, because we shall see him as he is."  I John 3:2

Looking forward to that day,

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. So much of what you said, I could've said, except you did it so much more eloquently. Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post Elizabeth! Sometimes I feel I'm so busy recording the past--that I'm ignoring the present!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think many of us struggle with the same areas..even if we aren't very willing to admit it ;) I don't think you're perfect but I do admire your creativity and the activities you do with your children! You inspire many people(including me) and that is FAR more important than an empty sink or a clean desk ;) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVED your post! I clean my dirty dishes right before my husband comes home from work! Words of wisdom from a 53 year old - no one is perfect. No one has perfect kids or a perfect life. If they tell you they do, they are not telling the truth!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth, I am here for the first time today. I saw your blog mentioned on Then She Made... This post really spoke volumes to me :) So glad to know I am not the only one who can spend the better part of the afternoon surfing the web. Love your blog and look forward to reading you again, soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome Lily Anne :) I'm so glad you are here. I must say your comment came at a perfect time because I needed to reread what I wrote, take a step back and really look at my life and my priorities. Thanks for taking the time to leave such an encouraging comment :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...